Summer Mold | Shelter Insurance®

Spring Showers Bring Summer... Mold?

Image:

Spring showers are finally over and just when you think you’re in the clear, you notice a few spots on your ceiling. You pull out your trusty inspection ladder to get a closer look, and  you realize you have mold. Mold is more common than you would think. It can be scary, progressive and extremely expensive if you don’t catch and treat it early. Mold often grows in obscure places, like your basement, in your bathroom and inside of your walls so it can be difficult to see. Mold can grow on any material that is organic so long as it has access to oxygen and moisture.

How to Prevent It

  1. Check for a leaky roof and roof gutters
  2. Build your home with mold-resistant material
  3. Keep your in-home humidity between the EPA recommended percentages of 30-50 percent
  4. Dry wet areas immediately
  5. Identify problem areas within your home

What to Do If Water Enters Your Home

If water enters your home, you should immediately remove all of the wet items and take the appropriate measures for that wet material. Household items that do not absorb water should be wiped down until they are completely dry. If you have recently experienced a flood and your floor is wet, you should remove all damaged flooring that cannot be completely dried. Spilled some water on your carpet? Even this needs to be blotted and dried within 24 to 48 hours. Your walls need attention too if they get wet, as the slightest amount of water can cause mold to grow. If you notice water damage on your walls, floor boards or ceiling, first identify what caused it and resolve that issue. Then contact a professional to have your home inspected and determine any further steps that need to be taken.

What to Do If You Catch Mold After It’s Already Grown

If you think you’ve caught mold that has already grown, don’t immediately panic! Have your home checked for mold by a licensed inspector or purchase a generic at home kit which you can use to look for mold. After the mold has been identified, you should hire a professional to identify the cause and  have it removed. Although this may be costly, it is vital for your health. For someone who is sensitive to mold,  it can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation.

Finally, if you have concerns about whether or not you have mold in your home, or how to prevent mold, contact your local licensed professional.