Shelter's basic farm property insurance policy can help pay for the accidental loss of property you own.
Farm property insurance does not include liability coverage for injuries or damage you may cause to other people or their property. If that interests you, consider farm liability insurance, or the packaged liability and property protection of a farmowners insurance policy.
Types of Coverage
Dwelling coverage applies to your private residence and any building structures that are attached to it. It also covers
- Outdoor equipment permanently attached to your home and used to service your residence and its premises. This includes
- Heating systems.
- Cooling systems.
- Water heating systems.
- Water softeners.
- On-site construction material you plan to permanently attach to your residence.
- Working outdoor antennas or reception dishes.
Other structures coverage applies to structures that are permanently attached to the premises, but not to your dwelling. Examples include fences and sheds.
This coverage doesn't apply to outdoor radio or television equipment or structures that are used for business purposes.
Personal property coverage applies to the contents of your home and other structures. If your property is somewhere other than where you live – like a vacation home – it will still be covered (although at a reduced limit).
For property that has a special value or is unique, we provide special coverage limits. Property that falls within this category includes
- Money, bank notes, bullion, coins, and medals.
- Securities, stamps, tickets, deeds, and passports.
- Jewelry, watches, furs, and gold (if stolen).
- Silverware and gold ware (if stolen).
- Business property on- or off-premises.
If personal property coverage isn't sufficient for your needs, it may make sense to insure these items with a personal articles insurance policy.
Additional Living Expenses
Your property may be unlivable due to a fire or another covered loss. If so, additional living expenses coverage will reimburse you for the increased cost of living away from home. If you use the property to earn rental income (such as from a rented room or basement), we will reimburse you for the lost income for the time that part of the premises is unlivable.
Debris removal coverage pays the reasonable expenses to remove debris following a covered loss.
Emergency Removal of Property
Emergency removal of property coverage pays for damage to covered property that happens while you're trying to remove it in an emergency.
Necessary Repairs after Loss
It may be necessary to protect covered property from additional damage following a loss. This coverage pays for the cost of those repairs.
Fire Department Charges
Fire department charges coverage will reimburse you up to $500 of service charges if a fire department is called to protect your covered property.
Trees, Shrubs, Plants, and Lawns
Trees, shrubs, plants, and lawns coverage will pay for a loss, caused by certain perils, to trees, shrubs, plants, and lawns at your residence.
Credit Card Fraud and Check Forgery
Credit card fraud and check forgery coverage pays up to $1,000 for any liability resulting from the unauthorized use of your credit cards or from check forgery.
The following coverage options are included with your farm property insurance policy:
- Building additions and alterations
- $200 outdoor antenna coverage
- 30 days of automatic coverage on newly acquired property (buildings and business property)
- Thefts for some kinds of property taken from your car
Additional Coverage Options
In addition to the items described above, you may be able to get coverage for the following items under your Shelter farm property insurance policy:
Farm Personal Property
Optional farm personal property coverage applies to most items used in the operation of the farm. If you have high-value equipment or livestock, they may need to be insured separately under a farm equipment or farm livestock policy.
Optional farm structures coverage applies to buildings used specifically for your farm. Farm structures might include barns, granaries, sheds, or additional farmhouses.
- Accidental shooting by others
- Attack by dogs or wild animals
- Collapse of buildings, bridges, or culverts.
- Loading or unloading of animals from uncommon carriers
- Earthquake damage (not available in all areas)
- Damaged caused by a sewer or drain back-up
- Home day care business occupancy
- Additional rented residences on premises (except businesses)
- Accidental physical loss involving
- Guns and related equipment
- Silverware and goldware
- Jewelry and furs
- Personal computers
- Piers, bulkheads, wharves, and docks
- Replacement cost coverage on your personal property
- Outbuilding collapse due to ice and snow
- Peak season coverage for farm personal property
- Extra expense coverage
- Business sales and storage
- Medical payments for named insureds engaged in farming operations
The product information contained on this website is informational only and not a statement of contract. All coverage options are subject to the provisions of the policy purchased and details of the policyholder's situation.