Classic Apple Pie
2 discs of your favorite pie crust dough – enough for two crusts (a top and bottom)
3/4 cups tightly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. freshly grated nutmeg
6-7 medium apples (Jonathan, Gala or Granny Smith - peeled, cored, and thinly sliced)
2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 T. unsalted butter (diced)
1 large egg + 2 T. water (egg wash for crust)
Raw sugar to decorate top (optional)
- Roll out one pie crust dough disc and line a 9-inch pie pan. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle apples with lemon juice. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the apples and toss to combine, evenly coating the apple slices.
- Mound the apples in the center of the pie crust-lined pie pan.
- Dot the top of the apple slices with the diced butter. Brush the edge with egg wash and set aside.
- Create lattice top. (See instructions below.)
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until the crust is golden brown and the apples feel tender when pierced with a knife, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
To create lattice top:
- Roll out the second batch of pie dough 2 inches wider than the pie pan.
- Cut dough into strips with a large knife or pizza cutter. You should end up with 14-16 strips.
- Place every other strip on top of the apple filled crust, arranging them vertically across about a 1/2 inch apart.
- Starting at the center, fold back every other strip on itself.
- Lay a strip horizontally across the remaining strips. Fold vertical strips back down over the horizontal strip.
- Fold back the opposite vertical strips.
- Place a second horizontal strip across the vertical strips. Fold back down as before.
- Continue folding, and laying strips, then flip the pie around and duplicate on the opposite side until the entire pie is covered.
- Crimp the edges with a fork. Trim with a knife.
- Brush egg wash over dough strips, and sprinkle with raw sugar.