- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper* -optional
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- Put the ground beef in a pot and break it apart as it cooks. When it is almost browned, add the onion to sauté it until the beef is browned. Drain any excess grease off and return the mixture to the pot.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and optional cayenne. Stir until well combined.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with the juice), drained beans, and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Bring the chili to a low boil, then reduce the heat to low or medium-low so it gently simmers. Continue to let it simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Let the chili rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.