Protect yourself with our rental dwelling insurance coverage options
Get a QuoteRetrieve a Saved Quote
Find an AgentMore search options
Shelter's rental dwelling insurance provides basic coverage for you and your rental property. There is also a wide range of additional coverage options available.
If our basic rental dwelling insurance policy isn't right for you, consider our apartment owners insurance policy instead.
Types of Coverage
Dwelling coverage applies to your rental property or apartment building and all attached additions and extensions. It also covers
- Fixtures, machinery, and equipment permanently attached to and used to service your rental property or apartment building and its premises. This includes
- Heating systems.
- Cooling systems.
- Water heating systems.
- Water softeners.
- On-site construction material you plan to use in repairing or altering your rental property or apartment building.
- Working outdoor antennas or reception dishes.
Other structures coverage applies to structures permanently attached to the premises (but not to your rental property or apartment building) that are designed to service your rental property. Examples include
- Fences and other decorative fixtures on your property.
- Swimming pools and yard signs.
Personal property coverage applies to the contents of your rental property or apartment building. It includes
- Furniture, fixtures, and supplies.
- Refrigeration and ventilation equipment.
- Floor coverings.
- Cooking, dishwashing, and laundering equipment.
- Outdoor furniture.
Loss of Rental Income
If property damage or loss occurs, you will be reimbursed for the loss of net rental income.
Liability coverage will help you pay for bodily injury and property damage that you are legally liable to pay. For example, if your child breaks the neighbor's window playing baseball, or if a visitor slips and falls on your icy sidewalk, your personal liability coverage can help protect you.
Medical payments coverage will help you pay for reasonable medical payments if someone is accidentally hurt or injured
- While on your property.
- Through some activity that involves you or your family members.
Medical payments coverage will not apply to injuries sustained by you or members of your family who live with you.
Debris removal coverage pays the reasonable expenses to remove debris following a covered loss.
Emergency Removal of Property
Emergency removal of property coverage pays for damage to covered property that happens while you're trying to remove it in an emergency.
Necessary Repairs after Loss
It may be necessary to protect covered property from additional damage following a loss. This coverage pays for the cost of those repairs.
Fire Department Charges
Fire department charges coverage will reimburse you up to $500 of service charges if a fire department is called to protect your covered property.
Trees, Shrubs, Plants, and Lawns
Trees, shrubs, plants, and lawns coverage will pay for a loss, caused by certain perils, to trees, shrubs, plants, and lawns at your residence.
Additional Coverage Options
The following options can be added on to your dwelling insurance policy:
- Earthquake damage (not available in all areas)
- Wind and hail
- Actions of thieves (damage to structure)
- Breakage of glass
- Falling objects
- Weight of ice, snow, or sleet
- Escape of water from plumbing
- Freezing of plumbing or heating systems
- Restoration cost
- A home under construction
- Homes you are building as a contractor
Additional coverage options may vary by state. See an agent for details.
The product information contained on this website is informational only and not a statement of contract. All coverage options are subject to the provisions of the policy purchased and details of the policyholder's situation.