Diversity Within Our Company
The great American poet and author Maya Angelou once wrote “…in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.” At Shelter, we understand the powerful difference having a diverse workforce can make for the future of our companies. Our employees and agents are our greatest assets, and building a culture that embraces diversity and inclusion has helped us grow. Strengthening those efforts will position us well for the future.
I’m proud to lead Shelter’s diversity efforts. In 2018, we adopted the Principles of Community, which helps state the importance and value of a diverse workforce. It goes to the core of valuing each individual and understanding the strength that is brought when different thoughts, experiences, and ideas are brought together for a common purpose. I was honored to sign that document and to be at the forefront of delivering on that promise.
Our longest diversity initiative is our Diversity Internship Program. We’re very proud of this program and have been fortunate enough to hire some of these students as full-time employees over the years, several of whom are still employed with us today. We also provide a number of diversity scholarships, and we continue to put a focus on our supplier diversity efforts.
Shelter employees and agents have the option of participating in Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) such as the Emerging Professionals Network (EPN), the Shelter Women’s Advocacy Group (SWAG), the Multicultural Group (MCG) and the Happy Work Team (HWT). These groups support community involvement and leadership development as well as social opportunities. The groups have grown significantly and are a large part of the reason Shelter’s corporate culture is so positive.
I see the benefits of fostering diversity and inclusion efforts each day. In addition to making Shelter a stronger company, we hope our diversity initiatives will have a positive influence in the communities we serve. Working together, we can all build up and enjoy the beauty and strength embracing diversity brings to our world.
We envision Shelter as a naturally diverse and inclusive workplace that:
- Provides products and services that create value to an ever increasing multicultural market.
- Appreciates people for their value and contributions and not for their appearance.
- Creates an inclusive environment, where people feel respected by and connected to one another. This environment supports contributions and the integration of diverse levels of knowledge, experience, and perspective to the creation and accomplishment of our defined goals.
- Encourages employees within Shelter to pursue new approaches that increase diversity and inclusion in their processes.
- Enjoys community partnership strategies and recognition for diversity achievements.
- Builds local, national and industry awareness from diversity groups as a great place to work.
At Shelter, we are committed to bringing together the diverse perspectives of all agents, employees and community partners. Utilizing their different perspectives creates an inclusive environment where everyone can contribute to our dynamic organization. This enhances our ability to serve diverse customer needs and meet our business objectives.
As a diverse and inclusive company we value:
- A real (valid, authentic, true) diversity commitment
- All walks of life; demonstrated at all levels of the organization
- Performance and collaborative engagement where different ideas and opinions are welcomed
Shelter Insurance® is listed as a Top Employer for 2021 with DiversityJobs in the Insurance category.
Shelter is an Equal Opportunity Employer. When you apply for a job at Shelter, and when you work at Shelter, you will be treated with dignity and respect, and Shelter will not discriminate against you based on race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law.