Diversity Within Our Company
Today we're facing change through technological advances, new beliefs and ideas. We’re also becoming a more diverse country which goes beyond race, national origin or gender. Companies that want to be relevant and grow must adapt to this ever-changing workforce and customer base.
Shelter is embracing those changes and working to become a more diverse and inclusive company. We're continuing our diversity internship program that we started more than 25 years ago. We’re also expanding our financial support for causes that share our desire to increase diversity in our communities, and looking at ways we can adapt our purchasing practices to increase the diversity of our suppliers. Shelter is enhancing our recruiting efforts to give us the ability to select and hire a more diverse workforce, and we have implemented professional development programs such as the Emerging Professionals Network (EPN) and Shelter Women's Advocacy Group (SWAG) for employees who want to develop or sharpen their leadership and other professional skills. We also offer a Reverse Mentoring Program that pairs junior employees with a Shelter leader so they can learn from one another.
We believe these efforts make us more successful in the U.S. and all the countries around the world where we do business. We continue to expand these efforts because it is the right thing to do — for now, and for our future.
We envision Shelter as a naturally diverse and inclusive workplace that:
- Provides products and services that create value to an ever increasing multicultural market.
- Appreciates people for their value and contributions and not for their appearance.
- Creates an inclusive environment, where people feel respected by and connected to one another. This environment supports contributions and the integration of diverse levels of knowledge, experience, and perspective to the creation and accomplishment of our defined goals.
- Encourages employees within Shelter to pursue new approaches that increase diversity and inclusion in their processes.
- Enjoys community partnership strategies and recognition for diversity achievements.
- Builds local, national and industry awareness from diversity groups as a great place to work.
At Shelter, we are committed to bringing together the diverse perspectives of all agents, employees and community partners. Utilizing their different perspectives creates an inclusive environment where everyone can contribute to our dynamic organization. This enhances our ability to serve diverse customer needs and meet our business objectives.
As a diverse and inclusive company we value:
- A real (valid, authentic, true) diversity commitment
- All walks of life; demonstrated at all levels of the organization
- Performance and collaborative engagement where different ideas and opinions are welcomed
Shelter is an Equal Opportunity Employer. When you apply for a job at Shelter, and when you work at Shelter, you will be treated with dignity and respect, and Shelter will not discriminate against you based on race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law.