Illinois Department of Insurance Issued Bulletin
The Illinois Department of Insurance issued Bulletin 2017-03 on July 18, 2017. Shelter has implemented the following guidelines to govern the treatment of all consumers affected by storms on July 12, 2017 in the counties of Cook, Kane, Lake and McHenry as requested by the Department. The time period for this bulletin to remain in effect is from July 12, 2017 to September 30, 2017.
For policies with a garaging location, property location or mailing address in one of the above affected counties we have taken the following action:
- Refrained from cancellation or nonrenewing insurance policies respecting affected property due to an “increase of risk” or geographic location.
- Suspended the reinstatement fee.
- Will allow for reinstatement of policies cancelled during the time period above without a lapse of coverage.
- Delayed any supplemental billings.
- Extended the time period to repair property.
- Extend the time period for submission of a claim or proof of loss, reporting of information, submission of bulls or payment of funds.
Consumers are advised of the availability of the Illinois Department of Insurance for filing a complaint regarding any disaster-related dispute or issue. Consumers shall be advised that they may call the Department’s toll-free complaint hotline at 1-866-445-5364 or file a complaint online at https://mc.insurance.illinois.gov/messagecenter.nsf.