Coverage Options | RV Insurance | Shelter Insurance®

Coverage Options

Protect yourself and your fellow travelers with the right RV coverage options

Get a Quote

Retrieve a Saved Quote

Find an Agent

More search options

Before you get out on the open road, make sure you have the RV coverage you'll need along the way.

What coverage do I have to carry?

Liability — Bodily Injury

If you cause an accident that injures someone else, you could be held legally responsible for their expenses. Bodily injury liability coverage will help pay their medical bills. It can even help with your defense fees, court costs, or bail bond if legal action is taken.

Most states require a minimum amount of coverage for each driver. Although Shelter offers various limitsfor bodily injury coverage, we recommend purchasing the highest amount of coverage you can reasonably afford.

Liability — Property Damage

If you cause an accident that damages another person's property, you may be held legally responsible for the cost of repairs or replacement. Property damage liability coverage can help pay for these expenses.

It covers most types of property damaged in an accident, as long as the property isn't owned by you or a member of your household. If you accidentally collide with someone's home or business, for example, it can help pay for structural repairs.

Most states require that you to carry a minimum amount of property damage coverage.

What are my other coverage options?


Collision coverage will help you fix or replace your vehicle due to an accident, whether you were at fault or not.

When you purchase collision coverage, you will choose a deductible amount. We will pay either the comparable value or the cost of the repair.

Collision coverage is optional in all states. However, if your vehicle is financed or leased, the lender might require you to prove that you carry the coverage.


Comprehensive coverage will help you pay to repair or replace your vehicle for most causes not covered by collision coverage. Examples include

  • Fire.
  • Flood.
  • Theft.
  • Hail damage.
  • Falling objects.

Since a few causes of loss are excluded, you should read your policy and discuss the coverage with your agent.

Our comprehensive coverage pays you to repair or replace damaged auto glass. If repairs are made before small chips or cracks can grow, there is no deductible and we pay the entire repair bill. If a break in your windshield is large enough to require replacement, or there are more than two chips, a deductible may apply.

When you purchase comprehensive coverage, you will choose a deductible amount. Collision losses will be paid at either the comparable value or the cost to repair.

Comprehensive coverage is optional in all states. However, if your vehicle is financed or leased, the lender might require you to prove that you carry the coverage.

Medical Payments

With ambulance fees, hospital bills, follow-up doctor visits, and x-ray or surgery costs, even fairly minor injuries can quickly become expensive. Medical payments coverage can help pay reasonable medical and dental bills incurred in a covered loss. And though no one likes to think about it, coverage for funeral expenses is included.

Most states do not require you to buy medical payments coverage.

Personal Injury Protection (No Fault)

Personal injury protection (PIP), also called no-fault coverage, is an expanded version of medical payments coverage. It is designed to help you deal with the expense and inconvenience of being injured in a covered accident. In addition to routine medical expenses, PIP coverage can help cover some loss of income and additional expenses paid for services the injured person normally provided to your family.

Some states require PIP coverage for all vehicle owners. In other states, PIP is not available.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist – Bodily Injury

Uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage can help pay medical or funeral expenses for you, most relatives living in your household, or anyone driving your car with your permission. Uninsured motorist coverage applies if

  • The other driver was at fault and did not have current insurance, or
  • The other driver's available insurance limits are less than the full amount owed for your damages.

Uninsured Motorist – Property Damage

Uninsured motorist property damage can help pay to repair or replace your car if it is damaged in an auto accident. It applies if the other driver was at fault and doesn't have current insurance.

Rental Reimbursement / Temporary Transportation Coverage

Renter Reimbursement / Temporary Transportation Coverage pays for reliable transportation while your car is out of commission, whether it's drivable or not. It might even apply in the case of theft.

Emergency Road Service Reimbursement

Emergency road service reimbursement coverage lets you use any service provider you like for roadside assistance. Simply submit your receipt to your agent or our customer service department.

Accidental Death

The accidental death benefit provides a payment if you or your spouse dies as a result of a car accident or being struck by a car. Coverage can be extended to other drivers or family members for an additional amount.

Disability Income

Disability income coverage will provide you with a weekly stipend for up to one year if you are disabled and unable to work as the result of an auto accident. Coverage applies if you're occupying or struck by a vehicle. Disability coverage may not be available in some states, although you may be able to purchase similar personal injury protection coverage.

Gap Insurance

Gap insurance can help pay the difference if you have a wreck and your collision coverage payment doesn't cover the amount you still owe on your car.

Loss of Use

Loss-of-use coverage will provide you with a single payment when your car is in the shop following a loss.

The product information contained on this website is informational only and not a statement of contract. All coverage options are subject to the provisions of the policy purchased and details of the policyholder's situation.