Coverage Options | Condominium Insurance | Shelter Insurance®

Coverage Options

Protect yourself with the condominium insurance coverage options you need most

Get a Quote

Retrieve a Saved Quote

Find an Agent

More search options

Shelter's condominium insurance provides basic coverage options to help you protect your home and belongings. When you're ready to increase your coverage, there are additional options available to you.

Building Property

Building property coverage applies to the part of the condominium that is your private residence and items which are your insurance responsibility under the governing rules of your owners association. It also covers working outdoor antennas or reception dishes.

Loss Assessment

This coverage pays your share of any assessment you're charged to repair damage to jointly owned areas after a covered loss.

Personal Property

Personal property coverage applies to the contents of your home and other structures. If your property is somewhere other than where you live – like a vacation home – it will still be covered (although at a reduced limit).

For property that has a special value or is unique, we provide special coverage limits. Property that falls within this category includes

  • Money, bank notes, bullion, coins, and medals.
  • Securities, stamps, tickets, deeds, and passports.
  • Jewelry, watches, furs, and gold (if stolen).
  • Silverware and gold ware (if stolen).
  • Business property on- or off-premises.

If personal property coverage isn't sufficient for your needs, it may make sense to insure these items with a personal articles insurance policy.

Additional Living Expenses

Your property may be unlivable due to a fire or another covered loss. If so, additional living expenses coverage will reimburse you for the increased cost of living away from home. If you use the property to earn rental income (such as from a rented room or basement), we will reimburse you for the lost income for the time that part of the premises is unlivable.

Personal Liability

Liability coverage will help you pay for bodily injury and property damage that you are legally liable to pay. For example, if your child breaks the neighbor's window playing baseball, or if a visitor slips and falls on your icy sidewalk, your personal liability coverage can help protect you.

Medical Payments

Medical payments coverage will help you pay for reasonable medical payments if someone is accidentally hurt or injured

  • While on your property.
  • Through some activity that involves you or your family members.

Medical payments coverage will not apply to injuries sustained by you or members of your family who live with you.

Debris Removal

Debris removal coverage pays the reasonable expenses to remove debris following a covered loss.

Emergency Removal of Property

Emergency removal of property coverage pays for damage to covered property that happens while you're trying to remove it in an emergency.

Fire Department Charges

Fire department charges coverage will reimburse you up to $500 of service charges if a fire department is called to protect your covered property.

Trees, Shrubs, Plants, and Lawns

Trees, shrubs, plants, and lawns coverage will pay for a loss, caused by certain perils, to trees, shrubs, plants, and lawns at your residence.

Credit Card Fraud and Check Forgery

Credit card fraud and check forgery coverage pays up to $1,000 for any liability resulting from the unauthorized use of your credit cards or from check forgery.

Family Liability

The liability coverage in your home insurance policy applies to your liability for you and your resident family members.

Other Coverage

The following coverage options also come with your condominium insurance policy:

  • $200 outdoor antenna coverage
  • Automatic personal property coverage at a new residence for 30 days
  • Thefts for some kinds of property taken from your car
  • Residence employees not covered by workers compensation
  • Owned recreational motor vehicles on your premises
  • Swimming pools
  • Some outboard motors, inboard motors, inboard/outboard motors, sail boats, and personal watercraft
  • Motorized equipment, such as power lawn mowers, while being used to service the premises
  • Recreational vehicles
  • Collector cards and comic books
  • Parts for some kinds of property taken from your car

Accessories for motorized vehicles not attached to the vehicle are also covered.

Additional Coverage Options

The following options can be added to or increased in your condominium insurance policy:

  • Daycare liability
  • An additional residence on the premises rented to others
  • Liability protection for some private school, studio occupancies, or incidental and professional offices on premises
  • Guns and related equipment
  • Archery equipment
  • Silverware and gold ware
  • Jewelry and furs
  • Personal computers
  • Personal injury liability
  • Earthquake damage

Additional coverage options may vary by state. See an agent for details.

The product information contained on this website is informational only and not a statement of contract. All coverage options are subject to the provisions of the policy purchased and details of the policyholder's situation.