Save with our great boat insurance discounts
Shelter Insurance® offers several discounts to help make sure you aren't worrying about your wallet while you're out on the water.
If you successfully complete one of the following safety courses, a discount can be applied to your premium. Proof of course completion may be required.
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary
Boating Skills and Seamanship; Sailing and Seamanship (sailboats only)
- U.S. Power Squadron
Basic Piloting; Small Boating
- Red Cross
Basic Sailing (sailboats only); Basic Outboard Boating (excludes sailboats)
- State Administered Courses
Courses must be approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) and recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard
For inboard/outboards, inboards, and sailboats that have built-in automatic fire extinguishers, a discount will be applied to your premium.
The discount does not apply to outboard boats, or to boats that have hand-operated fire extinguishers.
Diesel-powered inboard/outboards and inboards are eligible for a discount. The diesel power discount does not apply to outboards or sailboats.
A discount is available for Shelter boat insurance policies that
- Have been continuously active with Shelter Insurance® for at least 36 months.
- Have been claims free for the 36-month period that ends 30 days prior to the effective date of renewal.
An even greater discount is available for Shelter boat insurance policies that
- Have been continuously active with Shelter Insurance® for at least 72 months.
- Have been claims free for the 72-month period that ends 30 days prior to the effective date of renewal.
A discount will apply if you have an auto insurance or home insurance policy with Shelter. This discount is not available in all states.
The product information contained on this website is informational only and not a statement of contract. All coverage options are subject to the provisions of the policy purchased and details of the policyholder's situation.