Shelter’s Diversity Internship Program began in 1988 and strives to provide professional development through real work experiences and opportunities. Students of diverse backgrounds are immersed into a corporate environment for an entire summer to gain professional insights and to connect, learn and share ideas that can make a true impact. These paid internships provide opportunities to learn about the many career options available through the insurance industry.
We have opportunities in claims branches throughout our 15-state operating territory and in several departments at our corporate office in Columbia, Missouri.
2022 Diversity Internship Program Group Photo
Are You Eligible?
We select only the best and the brightest to join the program and admittance is based on a range of criteria, including a personal interview.
To apply for the program, a student must:
- Have completed their sophomore year by the beginning of the internship
- Be returning to school for the Fall semester as a full-time student
- Be available to participate in the program between May and August
Why You Should Apply
Benefits of participating in the Shelter Insurance® Diversity Internship Program include generous compensation, on-the-job training, regional placement, and an introduction to the insurance industry. A high degree of excellence is expected of program participants, and they are encouraged to apply for full- and part-time positions within our company upon graduation of the program.
- Real world work experience within Shelter’s departments
- Job shadowing options with other departments
- Professional and personal development opportunities with Shelter’s Training team
- Teambuilding opportunities with other interns and company leadership
- Networking opportunities with senior leadership and department heads
Find an Internship
For additional information or questions about the Diversity Internship Program, please email us or call Taylor Claiborne at 573-214-7425.
In 2023, the Shelter Insurance® Diversity Internship Program was recognized for the third consecutive year as a top insurance internship opportunity by the Rising Insurance Star Executives (RISE) organization.
Shelter Insurance® is an Equal Opportunity Employer .