Our Involvement Within Our Communities
Shelter Insurance Foundation Scholarships
Each year the Shelter Insurance Foundation works to enhance educational opportunities by funding scholarships and awards for students throughout our operating territory, including:
- Shelter Agents Scholarship – a $1,500 scholarship awarded to graduating high school seniors in communities served by Shelter agents who participate in this program. Typically, more than 500 such scholarships are presented each year.
- M. Seaman Scholarship– a $2,000 scholarship awarded to a male and a female graduate of La Plata High School, in La Plata, Missouri.
- Multicultural Achievement Committee (MAC) Scholars– a $2,000 scholarship awarded to one high school graduate who is an active member of the Columbia Public Schools MAC Scholars program.
- Lang Award– a $500 scholarship awarded to an outstanding vocational education graduate of the Missouri School for the Deaf in Fulton, Missouri.
- West Middle School Scholarship – a $2,000 scholarship awarded to a male and a female eighth grade student at West Middle School, Shelter’s longtime Partner in Education, in Columbia, Missouri.
In addition to these many scholarships, the Shelter Insurance Foundation has a Matching Gifts Program for Higher Education that matches certain gifts made by Shelter agents, employees, and retirees to colleges, universities, and technical schools, with an annual $3,000 aggregate giving limit per agent, employee, or retiree.
Fred V. Heinkel Award of Excellence
The Shelter Insurance Foundation annually bestows a $2,500 Fred V. Heinkel Award of Excellence to one or more individuals, organizations, or funds that have demonstrated excellence in any area of science, medical research, health services, education, history, agriculture, or athletics.
Shelter is very proud to recognize excellence and to support higher education in our communities.