Protect your stuff with the right coverage options
Your landlord's insurance policy won't cover your belongings. Learn more about what renters insurance coverage options are available to you.
What are my coverage options?
Personal property coverage applies to the contents of your home and other structures. If your property is somewhere other than where you live – like a vacation home – it will still be covered (although at a reduced limit).
For property that has a special value or is unique, we provide special coverage limits. Property that falls within this category includes
- Money, bank notes, bullion, coins, and medals.
- Securities, stamps, tickets, deeds, and passports.
- Jewelry, watches, furs, and gold (if stolen).
- Silverware and gold ware (if stolen).
- Business property on- or off-premises.
If personal property coverage isn't sufficient for your needs, it may make sense to insure these items with a personal articles insurance policy.
Additional Living Expenses
Your property may be unlivable due to a fire or another covered loss. If so, additional living expenses coverage will reimburse you for the increased cost of living away from home.
Liability coverage will help you pay for bodily injury and property damage that you are legally liable to pay. For example, if your child breaks the neighbor's window playing baseball, or if a visitor slips and falls on your icy sidewalk, your personal liability coverage can help protect you.
Medical payments coverage will help you pay for reasonable medical payments if someone is accidentally hurt or injured
- While on your property.
- Through some activity that involves you or your family members.
Medical payments coverage will not apply to injuries sustained by you or members of your family who live with you.
Shelter also provides coverage for many additional expenses that are often incurred after a loss, including
- The cost to remove debris.
- The expense of calling a fire department.
- The damage to refrigerated foods because of a power interruption.
Additional Coverage Options
In addition to the items described above, you may be able to get coverage for the following items under your Shelter renters insurance policy:
- Personal computers
- Trees, shrubs, and plants (in case of wind or hail damage)
- Pier, bulkhead, wharves, and docks
You may also be able to get coverage for the following situations under your Shelter renters insurance policy:
- Expanded restoration cost for personal property
- Backup of sewers or drains
- Theft from a home under construction
- Home daycare liability
- Owned or rented farms liability
- Personal injury (for libel and slander)
The product information contained on this website is informational only and not a statement of contract. All coverage options are subject to the provisions of the policy purchased and details of the policyholder's situation.