The leadership team at Shelter Insurance® understands the importance of professional development and ongoing training. We believe in supporting and developing skills among team members through on the job training as well as our employee resource groups. We continue to invest in new technology and processes, further enhancing our employees' skill sets.
Building a workplace focused on a work/life balance is also a priority for Shelter's leadership. We offer flexible hours, paid time off and other resources to assist employees. Another great benefit at Shelter is the feeling of family you'll notice shortly after you start here. Teams work together to achieve goals and as a result, they build long-term friendships too.
Watch the following video of employees as they look ahead to the future and discuss what can be expected from Shelter - The Future of Shelter.
The same spirit carries over into our communities through volunteer efforts and activities. The Shelter Cares committee coordinates volunteer activities to support our communities throughout the year, and some departments go above and beyond and coordinate their own efforts in addition to what is offered through Shelter Cares.
Working together and volunteering together help foster that family feeling and we enhance that through our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs). Some of our Employee Resource Groups include:
- Emerging Professionals Network (EPN) – EPN was created in 2013 for employees to connect and engage as well as grow personally and professionally. EPN members have opportunities to participate in community outreach activities, lunch and learn sessions, a mentoring program and networking activities.
- Shelter Women's Advocacy Group (SWAG) – SWAG was created in 2016 and promotes the professional development of women. They promote a culture of diversity and inclusion through continual learning and offer programs for working women on the topics of professional development, personal achievement and networking.
- Multicultural Group – The Multicultural Group's primary goal is to provide employees with a way to learn about other cultures in an accepting environment.
- Happy Work Team - The Happy Work Team builds collaborative opportunities for employee engagement and increased satisfaction through new employee welcoming efforts, current employee appreciation efforts and providing informational tips and tricks via email.
- Ra11y - Ra11y advocates for inclusive solutions as Shelter introduces changes to training programs, parking, facilities, systems, websites and internal communications.
An active and healthy lifestyle is promoted through various Shelter programs including:
- Wellness Program – Employees have the opportunity to participate in the Vitality® program. Participants earn points for attending webinars, getting regular medical and dental checkups – even getting a flu shot. Shelter provides opportunities throughout the year for employees to earn points for activities such as various 5Ks and step challenges. The earned points can be converted to purchase fitness tracking devices, gift cards and more in the Vitality Mall.
- 5K Fridays – Held on the first Friday of each month, 5K Fridays enable employees to leave up to one hour early to walk or run our 5K route or pursue other activites like workouts, meditation, etc.
- Gobble Wobble and Fountain Celebration 5Ks – Special 5K run/walks are celebrated in conjunction with events like Shelter's community Fountain Celebration and pre-Thanksgiving.
- Agility Room – Exercise, meditation and discussion classes are scheduled in this room over lunch and after work throughout the week. The room is located in Shelter's corporate office and the classes are free to employees.