A Company Built to Serve You
- Life Insurance
- Renters Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance
- RV Insurance
- ATV Insurance
- Boat Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
- Personal Articles/Inland Marine Insurance
- Farm Insurance
- Business Insurance
Shelter Insurance® products are sold by agents in 15 states— Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma and Tennessee. We consistently receive high ratings from A.M. Best Company (a national firm that rates the financial strength and operating performance of insurance companies) and we are a mutual insurance company, which means we are owned by our policyholders rather than stockholders, and governed by a Board of Directors.
We believe integrity and a commitment to continuous improvement are essential, and we make customer service one of our top priorities. Our primary goal is to be a benefit to our customers, communities, employees and our nearly 1,400 licensed agents as we find ways to maintain our strong financial position and protect our policyholders. That view has served us well throughout our company’s history, and we expect it to carry us well into the future.
The Past to the Present
We opened our doors in 1946, but in those days, we were MFA Mutual Insurance® and we only offered auto insurance. We also only operated in Missouri. Through the years, the Shelter Insurance Group of Companies has expanded to 21 states and offers far more products than we did in 1946. The Group of Companies includes Shelter Life Insurance Company, Shelter Reinsurance®, AmShield Insurance® and Say Insurance®.
- Shelter Mutual Insurance Company
- Shelter Life Insurance Company – Formed in 1959 as MFA Life Insurance Company, Shelter Life is an A.M. Best “A” rated company that offers a wide variety of term and permanent life insurance policies.
- Shelter Reinsurance Company - Incorporated in 1986, Shelter Reinsurance® is a wholly owned subsidiary of Shelter Mutual Insurance Company that is a financially sound, A.M. Best “A” rated company with a focus on spreading property exposures of the Shelter Insurance Group through conservative, diversified, long-term assumed reinsurance partnerships.
- AmShield Insurance® Company – Created in 2014, AmShield is one of the youngest companies under the Shelter Mutual umbrella. AmShield offers competitively priced property and casualty insurance through independent agencies in three states: Arizona, Oregon and Indiana. AmShield has built its reputation around core values of integrity and financial stability, and is backed by exceptional customer service.
- Shelter General Insurance Company
- Say Insurance® - Say was created under the Shelter General Insurance brand as a way to reach customers who want to buy auto insurance online. It was launched in 2016 and is currently offered in six states: Illinois, Colorado, Missouri, Tennessee, Indiana and Kansas. It differentiates itself in the digital world with an easy-to-use online quoting process and customer account portal filled with helpful content.
Shelter from the Storm
Shelter Insurance® has weathered many catastrophic storms through the years including the Joplin Tornado in 2011; the Moore, Oklahoma tornado in 2013; Hurricanes Rita, Katrina and Laura, and more recently, the unprecedented COVID-19 crisis. At the core of the Shelter brand is the willingness to do the right thing. We have held steady and strong in times of crisis, helping customers and communities rebuild and thrive for the future. It is a promise which continues today and into the future.
None of our success could have been achieved without our dedicated employees. Our pride in our employees is mutual. Shelter has been named in the annual Best Places to Work in Insurance program four years in a row--2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. This survey recognizes employers for their outstanding performance in establishing workplaces where employees can thrive, enjoy their work and help their companies grow. Companies named to the list completed a two-part assessment—an Employer Benefits & Policies questionnaire and a separate, anonymous Employee Engagement & Satisfaction Survey. The data from the surveys is analyzed to determine which companies will make the list.
Redefine value in the insurance industry.
Our Mission Statement
Be a leader in our communities by providing daily value while we SHELTER what matters most.
Shelter Insurance Companies
1817 West Broadway
Columbia, MO 65218